Saturday, August 27, 2022

VINTAGE

Still Life ~Robert Williams


Now
a time with little of it left
I gather gently to my breast
all my life crammed into ​​given space

not to sort as pictures in a box
into tidy stacks by time and place
but as Harvest do they come
their ​random ​fruits to trace

remembrances to keep
what I sowed, what I reaped
how and whom I loved
when and where
what was given me to bear
what was taken, what received
of all I once too easily believed--

A maze it seemed I thought I knew
in all directions I could choose​​
​was ​but a labyrinth I wandered through
​along its ​unicursal ​way of hope and fear
leading to the center
now and here

​​I reminiscence with gratitude, in joy, in pain
at times mythologizing all that’s been
or seeing clearly parts I played
in life’s grand drama
self and heaven made

No comments:

Post a Comment